With grief also comes great responsibilities. After the demise of a person, there is a certain amount of documentation that needs to be sorted. For the transfer of property to the legal heir, you need to obtain your varisu certificate to prevent your family’s precious possessions from falling into the wrong hands.
If you reside in Tamilnadu, you can obtain the varisu certificate form from your local Tehsildar or Taluk. You can apply and download your form online too. Let’s take a closer look at how this works.
What is Varisu Certificate
When the registered owner passes away, the legal heir certificate is required to determine the appropriate successor. In a lot of cases, several false claims over property arise. All these can be easily tackled with the help of the TN varisu certificate. Locally known as the varisu sandrithal, this helps identify the legal heirs. Legal heirs are essential for a variety of events, including:
Read: Planning To Sell Your House? Get Informed About the Capital Gain on the Sale of a Property
Book Best Packers & Movers with Best Price, Free Cancellation, Dedicated Move Manager
Estimate Moving Cost Now
Get Rental Agreement With Doorstep Delivery, Super Quick & Easy
Create Rental Agreement Now
This is third
This is third
This is fourth
This is fourth
This is fifth
This is fifth
This is six
This is six
This is seven
This is seven
This is eight
This is eight
- Ascertaining ownership of the property during the purchase
- Identification of legal heirs during the purchase of property
- During sanctioning of family pensions
- Receiving PFs and Gratuity from the Government
- Disbursing salary arrears for state or central government employees
- For gaining employment on the grounds of compassion
- Purchase of ancestral property where the consent of all legal heirs is essential. Not adhering to this may lead to litigation in the future.
Who can apply for the Varisu Certificate?
As mandated by the Indian Law, the following people will be considered as legal heirs who can claim the online varisu certificate:
- Wife/husband of the deceased
- Children (Son/daughter) of deceased
- Parents of the deceased
What are the Documents Required for Varisu Certificates?
Here is a list of documents required for Varisu Certificate –
- A self-undertaking affidavit.
- ID proof of the applicant (Voter ID, Aadhar Card, driving licence, Passport, Govt-issued employee ID)
- Address Proof of legal heirs (Valid ID proofs, Telephone/mobile bills, gas bills, bank passbook with name and address mentioned)
- Proof of birth of all legal heirs (Birth certificate, school-leaving/transfer certificate, PAN, Passport)
- Certificate of Death of the deceased
- Death certificate of the direct legal heir of deceased
- Address Proof of deceased
How to Apply for Varisu Legal Heir Certificate Offline
You can claim your legal heir certificate both online and offline. But, first, let’s take a look at how the offline procedure works.
- The legitimate heir will approach their respective area authorities (corporation, municipalities, tehsildar etc.) and apply for a legal heir certificate. You have to duly fill in the application form and submit it to the concerned authorities.
- Attach all the required documents, including the death certificate and a self-declaration/affidavit.
- Administrative officials will conduct a full inquiry and scrutinize your documents.
- On successful completion of the inquiry, the officials will issue you the certificate.
What is the Varisu Certificate in English and Tamil?
The TN Varisu certificate is also known as the legal heir certificate or the succession certificate in English. In Tamil, it is called varisu sandrithal.
Read: All You Need to Know About the Encumbrance Certificate
Varisu certificate Apply Online Tamil Nadu
Follow these steps to apply for the TN varisu certificate:
- Visit the e-Sevai portal of the Tamil Nadu government. The site is fairly easy to follow.
2) You can log in using your credentials. However, if you are a new user, you will need to Register first. Then, click on the Signup button in the right-hand corner of the page. On clicking it, the signup window will open.
3) Here, fill in the required details. Lastly, enter your email address and password and complete verification with the Captcha code. Then click “Sign Up”.
4) You will receive an OTP on your mobile number. A pop-up window will appear asking you for the OTP. Enter the OTP.
5. On successful verification, you can click on the Login button using your credentials. You can also log in using your mobile number. Then, click on the “SERVICE WISE” button on the left-hand side and choose REV-114 “Legal Heir Certificate”.
6. On clicking the option mentioned above, a pop-up window will appear revealing this page. Scroll down and click on “Proceed” to apply for the varisu certificates.
Read: CTS Number of Property: What is CTS Number in Property Card
7. Here, you have to provide all necessary information, including your CAN number. If you don’t have a CAN number yet, register to get one. If you already have a CAN number, add the CAN details and select “Search”.
8) Then, you can download the Application form online, fill it and submit it duly to the concerned authorities.
Varisu Certificate Status Online Tamilnadu: How to check the status of a Legal Heir Certificate?
Here’s how you can check the status of your Varisu Legal Heir Certificate –
- Log in to the registered e-service portal of the Tamil Nadu Government.
- Then, click on Services on the left-hand side and click on Legal heir.
- A pop-up window will appear, and you will be redirected to a new webpage.
- There, you can click on the “Check Status” button to view the current legal heir certificate status.
Legal Heir Certificate Download Online
Once you have applied for the various certificates in Tamilnadu, you will have to wait for some time so that the authorities can verify all information provided by you. In the meantime, you can keep checking your application as well as your TN Varisu Certificate status. Once your application is accepted and the administration has issued your certificate, you can download your Legal heir Certificate.
Significance of planning for a Varisu certificate
When a legal keeper of a property dies, a spouse, child, or parent may have to prove that they are the rightful heirs in order to obtain the assets or attributes of the person who died. False claims have been made about properties. So, getting a Varisu certificate is very important. After a thorough study of the eligible heir, the document is given out by the government (s).
Read: A Detailed Guide to the Form 26qb
All family members who are still alive need a varisu certificate that says they are entitled to the property or rights of a family member who has died. Here on varisu certificate, which is also called a legal heir certificate, the names and relationships of the dead person’s legal heirs are listed. As a matter of fact, it makes it easier to choose a good replacement. In Tamil, the name for the Varisu Certificate is very often Varisu Sandrithal. The Varisu certificate has always been needed for more than just transferring the movable and immovable property and assets of the dead person. These things are:
- Claiming benefits from an insurance policy, a provident fund, or a gratuity
- Family pension slapped on
- Transferring the deceased’s property or buying a piece of land that was in the family
- Gettingback pay (for state or central government workers)
- Getting a job for compassionate reasons
- Changes to savings or investments
- Changes to services
Varisu Certificate Form
This is what a legal heir certificate in Tamil Nadu looks like.
The certificate contains a full declaration regarding confirmation of the legal heirs. It also mentions the arrears or amount to be paid to the legal heirs of the deceased employee. In addition, a small box saying the heirs and their relationship with the dead person is also on this certificate. Finally, the date and Signature of the Departmental Head/Office is present.
As you can see, the varisu certificate can help a lot during the sudden demise of the family’s guardian. With the help of the TN Varisu certificate, you can ensure mental and financial stability for your family. You can visit our blog page for more such legal knowledge. If you face any issues with your documents or during any legal process, you can contact our NoBroker legal experts to assist you. So, what are you waiting for? Just click below.
Q1. Can one apply for a varisu certificate online?
Ans. Yes. It is possible to apply online for the varisu certificate by visiting the official eSevai portal of the Tamil Nadu government.
Q2. When is the varisu certificate needed?
Ans. This certificate is needed during property sale or transfer and also during insurance claims. In addition, during unfortunate deaths, these can help you obtain employment based on humanitarian grounds.
Q3. What is the varisu certificate known in Tamil Nadu?
Ans. In Tamil Nadu, the legal heir certificate is commonly known as varisu sandrithal.
Q4. Who are considered legal heirs?
Ans. The wife/husband, son and daughter of the deceased, are considered legal heirs.
Q5. Where can I download the Varisu certificate?
Ans. You can easily download it from the official eSevai portal of the Tamil Nadu government.