Collaborative project management software improves team performance and increases successful delivery rates. However, the price of a PM software subscription can be a blocker for smaller organizations. Also, your team may wish to test first a new tool before deciding to make an investment. These are some of the important reasons for using free project management software.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Free Project Management Software
- Top Free Project Management Software
- monday projects
- Zoho Projects
- Jira Software
- Types of Free Project Management Software
- Essential Features of Project Management Software
- Choosing the Right Free Project Management Software
- Recommended Project Management Software
Benefits of Free Project Management Software
Project management software is a broad category of tools and applications. These solutions help an individual, team, or entire organization become more efficient at scheduling projects, identifying needed processes, and tracking progress/productivity as you move toward your projects’ goals.
Many free online project management tools either offer the same features or the same number of users as their premium counterparts — but usually not both.
As such, many free project management software can provide premium functionality to a smaller team or basic features to a flexible number of users. Free software solutions are invaluable in helping businesses start off in the right direction. And they certainly beat sticky notes on a whiteboard.
But as is the case with all free software, users should be aware of the limitations before adopting a new tool for use in the production environment.
Back to top
Top Free Project Management Software
The best free project management platforms allow teams to manage a few projects, organize data, delegate tasks, collaborate, and track progress. Here is a list of PM software with free plans that new teams, startups, and growing companies can all benefit from at no extra cost.
Wrike is versatile enterprise-grade project management software for a variety of teams and use cases. Its customizable tools and elements allow users to tailor-fit the in-app environment to their exact needs. Wrike also simplifies communication and coordination with built-in real-time collaboration tools, notifications, dashboards, and dynamic reports.
Wrike’s free plan includes unlimited users and access to desktop and mobile apps. Users also can take advantage of AI-powered work intelligence that provides recommendations, suggestions, and search rankings. Other features of the free plan includes task and subtask management, live activity updates, and collaboration for both internal and external team members.
- Unlimited users
- Free integrations
- Access to project templates
- Missing calendars and Gantt chart views
- Limited admin and security features
Read more: Wrike Software Review for 2021
monday projects enables teams to plan, manage, collaborate, and deliver successful work for any project or portfolio. It provides a customizable and visual work management platform for project planning, management, execution, task management, issue tracking, or strategic planning. Users work from start to finish on a single, central workspace, allowing everyone on the team to streamline work and optimize processes.
monday projects has a free individual plan for up to 2 seats. It’s ideal for individuals looking to keep track of work using an online solution. It includes unlimited boards, unlimited docs, more than 200 ready-to-use templates, and free native mobile apps.
- Unlimited customizable boards
- Built-in collaboration tools
- 24/7 customer support
- Limited to a maximum of 2 users
- Kanban view only
Read more: monday.com Software Review
Zoho Projects is an online platform for project planning, work tracking, and team collaboration. Zoho’s solution is preferred by many teams as an enterprise-grade tool for panning and managing various projects in the construction, software, and education sectors, among others. It has core features like Gantt charts as well as advanced tools like resource utilization and portfolio dashboards.
Zoho Projects’ free plan is good for up to 3 users and 2 projects. Features include simple task management, a Gantt chart viewer, and access to mobile apps. Zoho Projects also has a project activity feed, calendar, and basic task and issue reports. Users can upload file attachments at up to 10MB per file.
- Document sharing
- MS Project import tool
- Google apps integration
- Read-only Gantt chart
- Limited integration options
Read more: Pros and Cons of using Zoho Projects
WorkflowMax is a project management option that helps companies run jobs of all kinds in one platform. As a cloud-based solution, users can access the full features of the PM tool from anywhere. Users can send quotes, organize schedules, track time, create invoices, and generate reports.
WorkflowMax customers come from creative agencies, architecture firms, business consultants, engineers, building and construction companies, and IT services. Interested users can test the software completely risk-free—a free 14-day trial period is available for its Standard and Premium plans without requiring a credit card or any other payment information.
- A comprehensive set of features
- Invoicing and client management
- Xero integration
- Free to try only
- Not ideal for agile projects
Read more: WorkflowMax Software Review
Jira Software is a project management tool for software development and agile teams. This issue and project tracking tool allows teams to plan, track, report, and release software products on the same platform. Features include Scrum and Kanban boards, backlog, agile reporting, custom workflows, apps, and integrations.
Jira Software is free for up to 10 users. The free plan is ideal for small teams who want to plan and track work more efficiently. However, automations work on only a single project. Also, only basic functions are available for roadmaps and dependency management.
- Security and compliance features
- Customizations are invaluable in helping businesses start a project moving in the right direction
- Seamless integrations
- No access to analytics or insights
- Community support only
Read Project-Management.com’s Jira Software Review for 2022
Nifty is an online project management software that provides a single tool to unite teams, goals, and execution in one place. Teams can set goals and create visual timelines with automatic progress tracking. It also task management with multiple work views, a discussions hub, docs and wikis, and automated reporting.
Nifty’s Free plan is an ideal way to get companies and teams started. It includes unlimited members but is limited to 2 active projects. However, all core features are accessible, from tasks, dependencies, milestones, discussions, docs, and team chat, to portfolios, recurring tasks, and 2FA.
- Unlimited members
- Core PM tools
- Free access to desktop and mobile apps
- Small 100MB storage space
- No guest or client accounts
Basecamp project management and team communication software is a useful tool for both onsite and remote teams. It helps organize all project-related information so team members do not have to go back and forth between multiple tools like emails, online file storage services, task managers, spreadsheets, or chat apps. It is an accessible workspace that promotes work visibility and collaboration.
Basecamp offers a free Personal plan that is ideal for freelancers, students, and personal projects. It includes for up to 20 users to work on 3 projects. Communication features like message boards, Campfire, and automatic check-ins simplify coordination across team member. Also included in the free plan are a to-do list, a scheduler, and a dedicated docs and files area.
- Free for up to 20 team members
- Built-in communication tools
- Real-time activity feed and notifications
- Small storage space of 1GB
- Limited work views
Read more: Basecamp Software Review for 2022
Trello is a visual project management and collaboration software made up of boards, lists, and cards. It is customizable for a wide range of use cases, from managing personal to-do lists to enterprise workflows. The drag-and-drop interface is intuitive and lets users of all skill levels to easily organize and prioritize work.
Trello is free for individuals and teams looking to be more productive and organized. The free plan includes unlimited members, unlimited cards, unlimited storage (with a 10MB per file limit), and unlimited Power-Ups per board. Other features include up to 10 boards per Workspace, 250 Workspace automation command runs per month, custom backgrounds, and mobile apps.
- Task assignees and due dates
- 2-factor authentication option
- Template library access
- Kanban view only
- Limited customization
Read more: Trello Software Review for 2021
Freedcamp is a free and fully featured online project management software that helps teams and organizations streamline projects and processes. It includes multiple work views to give teams the right work perspective and focus. It also has calendars, discussions, milestones, and time tracking.
Freedcamp includes unlimited users, projects, tasks, and storage. It also offers free access to desktop and mobile apps, as well as its own password manager. Users with more complex needs can pay for additional premium features and add-ons.
- Unlimited users, projects, and storage
- Built-in core productivity tools
- API and Zapier integration
- Gantt charts are available as a premium feature
- No reporting and 2FA in free plan
Read more: Freedcamp Software Review for 2022
Asana project management software helps engineering teams track bugs, marketing teams plan campaigns, sales teams manage customer accounts, and HR teams onboard new employees. The work and task management software solution enables users to stay organized and connected using multiple work views, automation, and integration with other tools.
Asana offers a free basic plan for teams of up to 15 users. The free plan comes with unlimited tasks, unlimited projects, unlimited messages, and unlimited file storage that small businesses can take advantage of. Users can also access their project and work information on the go with free mobile apps.
- Multiple work views like list, board, and calendar
- More than 100 free integrations
- Unlimited tasks with subtasks, comments, and file attachments
- File size limit of 100MB
- No built-in time tracking
Read more: Asana Software Review for 2021
Back to top
Types of Free Project Management Software
The project management software market offers several choices and configurations of free PM software.
Online PM Software
Many online PM software providers use a freemium model for their product offerings. They have a basic or limited forever free version which limits some aspects of the tool with the aim of converting regular users to scale up to premium tiers as the volume of their projects increase and as business grows.
On-Premise PM Software
Free on-premises project management software is also available to users who prefer self-managed implementations. This might include desktop app versions of web software, or downloadable open source tools such as ProjectLibre. Users have greater responsibility in keeping their PM software updated, but also have control over the schedule of those updates.
Free-to-Try PM Software
Enterprise-grade project management software provides comprehensive and advanced features that can help growing businesses. These vendors offer fully functional online PM tools for a limited time in the hope that outstanding software features, support, and other value-added services can convince users to subscribe at the end of the trial period.
Read also: How to Implement Project Management Software Successfully
Back to top
What are the Essential Features of Project Management Software?
Project management software, whether free forever or subscription based, help teams and companies go through the different stages and processes of the project lifecycle with ease and precision. But because free PM tools have limits, it is up to users to determine the right combination of features, access, and usage that can satisfy their needs.
- Task Management: Task management enables users to create, add, break down, assign, and monitor tasks through their various stages within the project. Moreover, the best free project management software provides teams with several ways to view, sort, and prioritize tasks with the ability to capture details and allow changes as needed.
- Team Collaboration: Team collaboration is an important feature of project management software, so users should choose a PM tool that works for at least two team members. The tool should enable a group of users to work together on common projects with tools such as comments, group chat, file sharing, proofing, and/or shared calendars.
- Email Integration: Some free project management software limit the number of users who can access it directly. Email integration is basic way to stay on the same page with the team members who do have access to the software.
- Document Management: Free project management software typically has limitations on the total storage or size of file attachments. It is an issue that users have to deal with and weigh accordingly when choosing a free PM software.
- Mobile App: Mobility while managing projects is no longer a nice-to-have feature. Luckily, providers recognize this and generally include mobile access to their free project management software via native integration, HTML5 technology, or mobile apps.
- Third-party Integration: Users expect their project management tools, whether free or paid, to have integration with other software. Some free PM tools offer limited integration, reserving more integration capabilities for paid plans.
- Support Documentation: Some project management software providers reserve customer support features for paid plans. Free users may need to work a little harder to access documentation and support through blogs, community forums, or non-vendor websites.
- Customization: Customization allows project teams to adapt the tool to their existing processes and not the other way around. Customizable features to look out for include configurable dashboards, workflows, forms, and templates.
- Reporting: A lot of free project management tools now offer automations, analytics, and AI to provide not just information, but insights into a project’s health and performance. However, free plans can have certain limits to the frequency or depth of reporting.
- Scheduling: Scheduling is another vital PM software feature. More tools are giving users a variety of views and interaction to look at their plans and timelines, which include table views, Gantt views, board views, and calendar views.
- Time Management: Time management is a core feature of many free project management tools, but not all. If included, users will have access to timesheets, automatic task timers, and time reporting capabilities. If this is critical to your workflow, look for a tool that prioritizes time management.
Back to top
How to Choose the Right Free Project Management Software?
Businesses and teams of all sizes can take advantage of free project management software to improve company efficiency and team productivity. The right project management software, free or paid, can provide significant benefits. With the right PM solution, businesses can save on costs, adopt useful technology, and establish a culture of productivity.
Back to top
Recommended Project Management Software
Free project management software is absolutely the place to start if you’re new to the game. As your projects become more complex, it may be time to consider a paid solution. If you’re ready to learn about more top-rated project management software, the editors at Project-Management.com actively recommend the following:
- Wrike – for project task management. ...
- Basecamp – for structuring project communication. ...
- Asana – for simplified, streamlined collaboration. ...
- Trello – for visibility and coordination. ...
- ProProfs Project – for effortless project management.
No, Google does not have a native software or app designed for project management. But it does have an alternative that you can use to create project plans and Gantt chart timelines. It's called Google Sheets. No coding experience is necessary: all you need to do is fill in your data, click Share and add your team.Is there a Google alternative to Microsoft Project? ›
Gantter™ is one of the best CPM project management tools in the Google Chrome Web Store that has all the power of leading desktop project management and project scheduling desktop software products like MS Project™ and with all the advantages of the cloud.What tools do project managers use today? ›
- Kissflow Project [ Get Started Now ] This all-in-one powerful tool is one of the best free project management software out there. ...
- Trello. ...
- Asana. ...
- Zoho Projects. ...
- Wrike. ...
- Monday.com. ...
- ProofHub. ...
Contrary to most of the project management tools in the market which offer free plans to users, Microsoft Project does not have any free features for its users. All the plans are paid and begin from $7 per user/month.Is Google project management certificate worth anything? ›
The Google Project Management Certificate is definitely worth it. It will help you build job-ready skills to start a career as a project manager. The course is prepared by Google project managers and is recognized in the industry as valid certification for project management entry-level positions.Is trello project management free? ›
Trello offers four pricing tiers: Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise. The free tier is your basic individual or small team plan, offering all the core functionality you need to get by. The Standard plan, at $5 per user per month, offers some core functionality, although misses some great business-facing features.Can I use Excel as a project management tool? ›
Microsoft Excel is often used as a simple project management tool by project managers working on small- or mid-sized projects to help visualize, plan, and monitor progress.What are the four main types of project management software? ›
- 1 - Desktop. There are two types of project management software available for project managers. ...
- 2 - Web Based. ...
- 1 - Collaboration. ...
- 2 - Scheduling. ...
- 3 - Issue Tracking. ...
- 4 - Project Portfolio Management. ...
- 5 - Document Management. ...
- 6 - Resource Management.
- ProjectManager. Best Microsoft project alternative for Mac. ...
- Trello. Good Microsoft Project alternative for kanban boards. ...
- Zoho Projects. Best Microsoft Project alternative for file management. ...
- Monday.com. ...
- Asana. ...
- Google Workspace.
- WPS Office.
- Polaris Office.
- Gantt Charts. Gantt chart is one of the top project management tools. ...
- Work Breakdown Structure. The Work Breakdown Structure is the first and most important tool in project planning. ...
- Project Baseline. ...
- Team Building Activities.
Planning and managing a project involves so many elements that cannot be all included in one article. However, they can be grouped under three major categories: Product, People and Process.What are the 7 types of project management? ›
- Waterfall project management. ...
- Agile project management. ...
- Scrum project management. ...
- Kanban project management. ...
- Lean project management. ...
- Six Sigma project management. ...
- PRINCE2 project management.
Scope, schedule, cost.Can I use MS Project online for free? ›
Microsoft Project Online is not free. You'll need to pay an annual commitment of $55 per user/month along with several other separate subscriptions for Microsoft products to have a fully functional MS Project Online.How can I get free project management? ›
Is Project Plan 365 free or do I have to pay? You can use our application in free read-only mode and you can open and view the . mpp files. If you want to advanced features for editing, saving and sharing files, you need to purchase the Standard or the Business Subscription from our website.How much can I make with a Google project management certificate? ›
Google Project Management Certificate Salary.
|PM Career Path||Average Salary|
|Software Project Manager||$93,000|
Those who complete the Google Project Management Certificate will qualify for over 100 hours of project management education that apply directly to requirements for globally-recognized PMI credentials, like the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification, at a discounted price.
Google career certificates offer many benefits to students and they are certainly worth the time and effort. To begin with, the certificates are prepared by Google practitioners that are experts in their fields. Everything you'll learn in the courses is practical advice you can use in your job and is not just theory.What is better than Trello and free? ›
To recap, Asana and ClickUp are both excellent tools with comparable features to Trello. More advanced users might prefer Teamwork or Taiga as they're more scalable and suited to other project management methodologies. Otherwise, if you want a no-frills solution, KanbanFlow might be perfect for you.How long is Trello free? ›
We currently do not offer a free trial for Standard, but you can trial Premium for 14 days (without entering credit card information), which has all of the features in Standard and more. To start a free trial of Premium visit trello.com/free-trial.What can replace Trello with? ›
- Best for Power Users: Airtable.
- Best for Teams: monday.com.
- Best for Customization: ClickUp.
- Best for Simple Projects: Todoist.
- Best for Microsoft Users: Microsoft Planner.
- Best for Ease of Use: Notion.
- Best for Integrations: Confluence.
- Best for Customer Support: Teamwork.
- Affinity Diagram [KJ method]
- Interrelationship diagram.
- Tree diagram.
- Prioritization matrix.
- Matrix diagram or quality table.
- Process decision program chart.
- Activity network diagram.
- Strategic Planning.
- Customer Segmentation.
- Mission and Vision Statements.
- Core Competencies.
- Business Process Reengineering.
The basic seven QC tools (scatter diagram, check sheet, flow chart, histogram, cause and effect diagram, Pareto chart, and control chart) are used for data collection and quantitative analysis. In contrast, the 7M tools are for qualitative data analysis, which helps in planning and identifying problem solutions.Why is MS project better than Excel? ›
Project enables managers to not only create a schedule but to see a project through the lifecycle of planning, tracking and reporting. Also, if a user has a plan in Excel, importing it to Project is simplified by using the Project step-by-step guides to map Excel columns to project columns.Is project better than Excel? ›
Transitioning from Excel to Microsoft Project requires an investment in time, money, and resources. However, it is a good investment that can make a strong impact in the long run. Project information will be more transparent, processes can be more efficient, and people will be more effective with their time.Is Microsoft planner a project management tool? ›
Planner helps you manage and monitor team tasks in a shared plan while Project takes managing your tasks and projects to the next level with more flexibility and power.
- Code issues. One significant risk involved with software development is poor quality code. ...
- Aggressive deadlines. Sometimes, software development projects have tight deadlines. ...
- Unmet expectations. ...
- Low productivity. ...
- Budget issues. ...
- Poor risk management. ...
- Inadequate project management. ...
- Scope creep.
Overview. From real-time chat to video meetings, document management, and more, Microsoft Teams is a powerful platform for project management.What are the six 6 types of project management methods? ›
Specific examples of project management methodologies – each with its unique advantages and limitations – include, but are not limited to Agile, Waterfall, Critical Path, Scrum, Lean Six Sigma and PRINCE2.Which project management certification is best beginner? ›
The CAPM and Project+ remain the best-known entry-level project management certifications, with the PMP as the primary professional target and capstone for would-be professional IT project managers. Don't forget to consider PMI's related certifications as well.Is Google project management easy? ›
The Google Project Management Certificate is not hard to get. It's an entry-level certification aimed at people that have no prior experience with project management. There are no prerequisites other than having basic computer skills. The way the certificate is structured makes it easy for beginners to follow.Which software model is good for small project? ›
The Waterfall model is mostly used on smaller projects where the requirements are clear and there's no need to change them quickly.Is software project management hard? ›
Project management is one of the most challenging careers as no day will be the same, and you will need all your project management skills to solve every problem. Also, you'll be the first person your team goes to when a problem occurs. They might expect you to hold the answers to any inquiry.What is the lowest level of project management? ›
Team leader. The lowest level of project management does not always come with a formal title change. When organizing a workforce into smaller teams, an employer may choose one member of a team working on a project and label them as the team leader.Can you be a project manager without certification? ›
Being a project manager is about more than just degrees and qualifications. While there are lots of certifications you can take if you want to, having a degree is not required.Is a Google it certificate worth it? ›
The Google IT Support Professional Certificate is certainly worth it. It will help you build job-ready skills that can open doors for starting a career in the IT industry. The certificate is offered by Google and recognized in the industry as a valid credential for securing an entry-level job.
The Google Project Management Certificate can be completed in three months working approximately 20 hours per week, or in six months working 10 hours per week. To finish the six courses which make up the Certificate, around 240 hours total are needed.What are 5 software examples? ›
Examples of modern applications include office suites, graphics software, databases and database management programs, web browsers, word processors, software development tools, image editors and communication platforms.What are the two main types of software project? ›
Computer software is typically classified into two major types of programs: system software and application software. Systems software are programs that manage the resources of the computer system and simplify applications programming.Which software is great for small teams and quick projects? ›
Bonsai — Solid PM tool for freelancers and small teams. TeamGantt — Best project management app for small teams with Gantt charts. Trello — Top easy-to-use kanban boards-based PM platform. Paymo — Best project management software for small teams with multiple projects.What is the most difficult in project management? ›
Scope creep — the nightmare of every project manager. It can be frustrating to work with stakeholders who don't know what they want and who do not have a clear goal in mind. This can introduce huge risks, ultimately impacting all aspects of the project.What is the hardest phase in project management? ›
Whatever project management methodology you follow, planning will be likely the more difficult. With planning, there are too many things to consider in complexity. Execution, you just follow the steps after you mapped the complexity.What is the hardest thing a project manager does? ›
- No. 5: Preventing scope creep. ...
- No. 4: The meeting scheduling Hokey-Pokey. ...
- No. 3: Trying to manage resources for which you have no authority. ...
- No. 2: Making the team work late. ...
- My No. 1 worst thing about managing projects: Delivering bad news.