- Play with one of this photo to painting software and convert your photos into beautiful paintings.
- With powerful editing options and little knowledge you can create paintings on your own.
- For less experienced users, there are fully automated solutions for quick and easy results.
Get the right software to support your ideas!Creative Cloud is all you need to bring your imagination to life. Use all the Adobe apps and combine them for amazing results. Using Creative Cloud you can make, edit, and render in different formats:
- 3D models & infographics
- Many other artworks
Get all apps at a special price!
Do you want to transform your photos into paintings, but don’t know how? You will need photo to painting software tools to help you out.
You can apply painting effects to your photos by using software with specifically crafted features that allows you to customize every aspect of the image.
Instead of learning how to paint and then try your best to replicate the photo in oil or acrylic, you can simply use editing software solutions. And this is a far more efficient option.
We already covered the best digital watercolor painting software, so if you prefer using watercolors, maybe check it out.
In this article, we will explore some of the best software options that allow you to easily transform any photo into a professional-looking painting.
Is there a program that turns photos into paintings?
Yes, there are many applications that can help you turn your photos into paintings. Some of them are intended for professionals, while others are suitable for less experienced users.
If you’re an artist, you’ll appreciate the complexity of these applications. However, less experienced users can always use the apps that are fully automated for quick and beautiful results.
What is the best photo to painting software?
Adobe Photoshop – For professionals
This program is one of the most popular tools from Adobe. Its popularity has increased exponentially because of an incredibly wide range of features.
You can create images from scratch, apply different professional effects to your photo, and even allow you to transform your pictures into oil and watercolor paintings.
Like what you read but not sure how to proceed? Here’s a comprehensive tutorial on how to use Adobe Photoshop to transform your photos into paintings.
If you need an app to turn picture into painting, Adobe Photoshop is the best choice for professionals.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Stroke smoothing options
- Variable fonts with customizable characteristics
- Curvature pen tool to easily create curved lines
- Custom path color and width
- Unlimited number of effects, templates and guides
- Digital painting tools – create, use and edit layers
- Camera shake reduction tool – reduces the blur of your image (especially useful for creating vector art)
- Cloud storage – gives you the opportunity to access your projects from anywhere while keeping your files secured
Unleash your creativity with the world’s best imaging software and create stunning painting-like artwork from your everyday snapshots.
Adobe Illustrator – Best choice for vector graphics
If perfection is a standard requirement for you, then the best-in-class vector graphics software is the go-to tool you need to turn photo into art.
Of course, a huge perk of the Illustrator is that you can reuse your artwork to fit any display, at any scale, and still look crisp and polished to the last pixel thanks to its vector-based editing toolkit.
Boasting a wide array of versatile painting and drawing tools, you will be able to reproduce the oil painting effect with mesmerizing results.
Smooth individual strokes and lines, layered-based editing, and fully customizable brushes that you can load at will – this is what you can expect from the Illustrator and even more.
If you need to turn photo into illustration, Adobe Illustrator is the best option for the job.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Scale images to the perfect size with crisp resolution
- Layered editing for ultra-sophisticated results
- Your work is automatically saved and stored into the cloud
- Ultra-fast rendering (to preview your designs in real-time)
- Seamless integration with Creative Cloud products such as Photoshop, InDesign, or After Effects
- Compatible with iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
- Step-by-step in-app tutorials to support all your creative projects
Transform your snapshots into fully scalable ultra-realistic paintings with the best design software.
Adobe Lightroom – Perfect for photographers
If you need photo to painting software, Lightroom is just as easy as using this lightweight and user-friendly software altogether.
While Lightroom is generally perceived as a more lightweight alternative to the rather intimidating Photoshop, its powerful photo editing capacities will not fail to impress you.
Simply import the image of your choice, then unleash your creativity and play with highlights, shadows, exposure, contrast, and luminance until you are satisfied with the painting effect you achieved.
Overall, it’s a great choice if you need an app to turn photo into painting for free.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Comprehensive toolkit to edit, store, organize and share your photos across any device
- Versatile tools including sliders and presets
- Your work is automatically saved into the cloud and updated everywhere
- Interactive in-app tutorials, plus inspirational materials designed by professionals
- AI-powered imagery solutions to automatically recognize people and themes
Light and friendly, this powerful app will satisfy all your editing needs.
Corel PaintShop Pro – Amazing vector and raster graphics support
Corel PaintShop Pro is a greatly powerful photo editing app that has a great range of photo effects that allows you to easily transform your photo into a painting, by using the automated Pic-to-Painting presets.
The Pic-to-Painting presets can be downloaded directly from the Welcome Tab found in PaintShop and then can be accessed by going to Effects, and then Plugins.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click hereto download and start repairing.
PaintShop Pro has such a wide range of features, that it is hard to choose which of them are worth presenting, but here are the most notable options.
If you need to turn a photo into Renaissance painting, then be sure to try this tool.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Artificial intelligence processing
- 360° photo editing
- Great performance, stability, and features
- User-friendly UI with easy to access customization options
- Great set of photo editing tools with layer-based editing
- Can add different textures, brushes, drawing and painting tools
- Quick fixes for photos – crop, straighten, resize, retouch, etc.
- Remove imperfection from your image
- Support for 64-bit versions of third-party plugins – Topaz Labs, Nik Collection by DXO, Adobe, etc.
Need a helping hand? Here’s a full guide on how to turn your photos into paintings using PaintShop Pro.
⇒ Get PaintShop Pro
Skylum Luminar 4 – A must-have for photo editing
With filter controls, neat presets, and countless photo editing features, you can achieve a wide range of creative photo effects in Luminar 4.
Reproducing the painted look is not much difficult than a walk in the part with this amazingly versatile and highly adaptable tool.
Luminar 4 lays artificial intelligence at your fingertips, allowing you to create stunning artwork that truly reflects your vision.
By further adding layers and textures you can produce dramatically dynamic photography with special effects to dazzle.
Luminar 4 is perfect if you need to convert photo to watercolor painting for free, so be sure to try it out.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Customizable user interface with easily accessible functions and neatly organized workspaces
- Non-destructive editing and nativeRAW support
- Comprehensive editing tools including presets, layers, filters, masks, and more
- Batch processing, Photo Enhancer, and Color photo editor
- Extensive library of plug-ins to further personalize your workspace
⇒ Get Skylum Luminar 4
Colorcinch – Perfect for first-time users
Colorcinch is an intuitive photo editor that comes with hundreds of AI-powered photo effects and filters. You don’t have to be a pro to achieve stunning results. With just a single click, you can turn any photo into ultra-realistic paintings, sketches, and digital arts!
The digital effects come with different styling options -you can adjust saturation, intensity, color, vibrance, etc. You can also add texts, frames, masks, and overlays to your photos. And play around with the different blend modes and drawing tools to give them a unique touch.
If you want to turn picture into painting online for free, this is the only service that you’ll need.
Let’s quickly look at itskey features:
- Intuitive interface, one-click approach to photo editing
- Essential editing -crop, resize, background remover, color picker
- Enhance photos -adjust intensity, color, vibrance, saturation, etc.
- Vast library of filters and presets, templated masks, overlays, and frames
- Full-fledged text editor and freehand drawing
- Cloud-based image and project management
- Offline capabilities and PWA-enabled
How can I turn a picture into a painting for free?
Some apps require a license if you want to use them to convert pictures to portraits. However, not all applications require a purchase.
There are many free alternatives, especially online, that can help you convert your photos.
- 5+ best drawing apps for Windows 11 [Painting, Sketching]
- 12 Best Painting Apps for Windows 10 [Drawing, Sketching]
- How to View RAW Files in Windows 10/11 [Best Solutions]
- How to Open a PNG File on Windows 10/11
- 8 Best Tools to Fix Blurry Pictures [Photo Sharpening]
Because we can’t all afford to hire an oil or watercolor painter to manually transform our photos into paintings, you can use good software that allows you to do just that.
All of these applications can convert photo to canvas painting, so be sure to give them them a try.
If you have the required experience and you also need a wide range of customization options and features, you might want to start with Adobe Photoshop or Corel PaintShop Pro.
This list encompasses software options with batch processing, pre-made templates, and also custom effects racks that will surely cover all your creative needs.
If you want to manually paint paintings on your PC, then be sure to consider one of these painting apps for Windows.
Let us know which software you chose to use by reaching for the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommenddownloading this PC Repair tool(rated Great onTrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click theStart Scanbutton and then press onRepair All.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can turn a photo into a painting by using specialized software. Take a look at this guide with the best software to turn photos into paintings.
Most modern image editors provide the tools to convert a photo into a pencil sketch. Find in our guidethe best software to turn a photo into a sketch.
We recommend you to use one of these great photo editing software solutions that have plenty of features and intuitive tools.
This article covers:Topics:
- photo editors
- photo software
Was this page helpful?
Start a conversation
Leave a Reply
Prisma (Android & iOS)
Prisma is a remarkable app that's available on Android and iOS – it even won an App Store 'App Of The Year Award' a few years back. It's no wonder, given that Prisma has over 300 painting and art-style filters available to transform your photos in countless ways.
PicsArt Photo & Video Editor
If you're looking to do more than simply transform a photo into a painting, PicsArt is a fantastic option. The app functions as a full photo editing service complete with selfie and video editing capabilities, collage layouts, and a selection of beautifying tools and filters.
Simply upload your picture, choose a painting filter you like, and Fotor will automatically analyze and convert your picture into a spectacular piece of art in no time. You don't need to do any manual photo editing. The entire process is simple & fun.Does Mac Have a paint program like Windows? ›
Paintbrush is the original simple paint program for macOS.Does Mac have a built in paint program? ›
There is no paint for Mac, though, even if you're running the latest version. Apple removed MacPaint long ago. However, Apple's default app for opening images, PDFs, and other files -- called Preview -- comes close.Does Mac have a version of MS Paint? ›
MS Paint remains to be one of the easiest to use, secure, and free painting tools. However, the program belongs to Microsoft, meaning it can only run on operating systems that support Microsoft product—macOS is not one of them. To use MS Paint on your Mac, you need an app like Parallels Desktop to help you.What is the best art generator? ›
- NightCafe. NightCafe is one of the big names in the world of AI art generators. ...
- DALL-E 2. ...
- Deep Dream Generator. ...
- Artbreeder. ...
- Stablecog. ...
- DeepAI. ...
- StarryAI. ...
Paintru makes it simple to turn your cherished photos and memories into a custom work of art. In minutes you can commission a painting from an incredible artist in our unmatched artist network. Upload a photo, choose a style, and your custom artwork will be delivered within 3 to 4 weeks. GET STARTED!How do I make a picture look like a painter? ›
Click the Hue/Saturation adjustment in the second row of icons. In the Properties panel that appears, use the Saturation slider to set the saturation to +65. This increases the intensity of the colors in the photo, emphasizing a painterly look.How do you make photos look like they are drawn? ›
- Upload Your Photo. Open your image in BeFunky's Photo Editor.
- Choose Your Effect. Navigate to the Artsy section and choose your sketch effect.
- Customize It. Adjust the effect settings and edit any other aspects of your sketch.
- Save It. Save your image to the location of your choosing.
- Open your image in PicMonkey.
- Apply the Edge Sketch effect.
- Add an artistic touch with Posterize.
- Adjust Exposure and Colors for a polished look.
- Download, upload, and share for all to see. Voila!
Although these AI portraits have gone viral, the price tag and results might not be worth the hype.What is the best way to digitize art? ›
- Scanning: Ideal for smaller artwork with little to no texture.
- Photographing: Better for larger artworks, textured artworks, or if you're very prolific.
Clip Studio Paint (Windows/macOS/iPad/iPhone/Android/Chromebook) Clip Studio Paint is a versatile software that supports a wide range of genres, including illustration, comics, and animation. It comes with a plethora of digital art tools, so you can start drawing with it right away.What is the best way to convert photos to digital? ›
If you want to convert your photos to digital copies at home, the best way to scan photos is by using a flatbed scanner. They are much less likely to damage your photos. They're also compact and will generally only require an ordinary laptop or computer to function.Is there a free paint app for Mac? ›
With it you can sketch, crop, rotate and scale images very easily. At the same time, you can add texts and curved texts onto images as you want. The app also supports layers, so you can re-edit them freely. Paint S is the free version of Paint Pro.Does paint program still exist? ›
In the search box next to Start on the taskbar, type paint and then select Paint from the list of results. Classic Microsoft Paint should already be on your Windows PC. Whether you would like to resize images or do additional customizations, this app is a powerful tool.What replaced MS Paint? ›
- Microsoft Paint 3D. If you want to understand 3D modeling, start from Microsoft Paint 3D. ...
- Luminar 4. Luminar 4 is a photo editor with Artificial Intelligence. ...
- Pinta. Pinta is an image editor for macOS, based on the Windows image editor Paint.NET. ...
- Adobe Lightroom. ...
|Paint on Windows 11|
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
Microsoft had been planning to remove its popular Paint app from Windows 10, but the company has now reversed course. The software maker had been warning Windows 10 users for months that Paint would be removed, and those warnings vanished in the latest May 2019 Update (1903).
- Krita. Krita is free, open-source software that works for Windows, Mac, and Linux users. ...
- MediBang Paint Pro. ...
- FireAlpaca. ...
- Autodesk Sketchbook. ...
- CorelDRAW. ...
- Adobe Photoshop. ...
- Procreate. ...
- Adobe Photoshop (Editor's Choice) Adobe Photoshop Interface. ...
- Procreate. Procreate Interface. ...
- Corel Painter 2022. Corel Painter 2022. ...
- Adobe Fresco. Adobe Fresco Interface. ...
- Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator. ...
- Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo Interface. ...
- Rebelle 4. ...
starryai is an AI art generator app. You simply enter a text prompt and our AI transforms your words into works of art. AI Art generation is usually a laborious process that requires technical expertise, we make that process simple and intuitive. starryai is available for free on iOS and Android.How can I turn a picture into a painting for free? ›
It's simple. Open the Picsart editor, and upload the photo you want to transform. Then, click on the Effects button in the top navigation, scroll down to Artistic effects, and browse the range of options for transforming your photo into a painting or other artistic work.How do I turn a photo into a minimalist drawing? ›
- Step 1: Adjust the contrast of your photo. ...
- Step 2: Set up your layers. ...
- Step 3: Convert the image to grayscale using an adjustment layer. ...
- Step 4: Convert your photo to a line drawing. ...
- Step 5: Set your Background and Foreground Colors. ...
- Step 6: Add Pencil Shading to your image. ...
- Step 7: Add a cross-hatching effect to your image.
Prisma - The Best App to Turn Pictures into Drawings
Prisma is a fine choice to turn pictures into drawings, but you may not find it as easy to use or as versatile as PhotoDirector. However, Prisma comes with a nice assortment of effects for customizing photos.
You can convert photos to sketches on mobile easily with Fotor's photo to sketch app. Download it on your Android or iOS smartphone device for free. Upload your images on the app and choose a sketch filter from the library. Apply it to the picture, and voila!What is the app that everyone is using to draw? ›
Sketchbook is an award-winning sketching, painting, and drawing app for anyone who loves to draw. Artists and illustrators love Sketchbook for its professional-grade feature set and highly customizable tools.Is there a free art app? ›
Adobe Fresco is a free drawing and painting app designed for artists of all skill levels. Built specially for iPad with Apple Pencil and iPhone, Fresco offers a wide variety of brushes to help you create your next masterpiece.Does Google have a free paint program? ›
Supports paint, drawing, webcam capture, and Goolge Drive's photos. Photo Paint Instant is an easy to use paint & drawing application with image, photo. You can choose a image, photo file from your computer or from Google Drive. Paint Instant provides a webcam capture feature.
YouCam Perfect: Best Free App to Bring Pictures to Life
You can have fun trying on animated effects and stickers with backgrounds, brushes, and photo filters. You can even add animation to your photos with effects, stickers, and wraparounds.